Sunday, May 10, 2009

Race for the Cure!!

I have been putting off posting this segment because I felt that I couldn't do it justice.... This last Mother's Day weekend I had the opportunity to go with some friends to the Gateway to participate in a 5K "Race for the Cure!!!" It is a program set up to raise money for Breast Cancer research and other awareness concerns... It was a great day; emotional for some, but supportive for others. I participated for many women... Mindee Zigler, Cheryl Brown, Renae Powell, Ladonna Madsen, Criss Rich, Teri Davis, Rachelle Drange.


At the end of the race we had a minute to sit and rest...


And then we were off to Sweet Tomatoes for lunch!!!


What a great time!!

When I was a student nurse I remember being sent into a patients room to get a blood pressure on a patient. I walked in and proceeded to grab her arm to get the reading. But instead, she said to me, "You need to use my leg." I thought.... oh okay... and then proceeded to take the blood pressure on her leg. As I got talking I learned that she had just had a double mastectomy and she proceeded to show me the incisions...staples...and damage the cancer left behind. With tears in her eyes... she said, "I hope this never happens to you." She was in her mid 30's... I am now in my mid 30's... I so hope that soon there will be a cure!!! No one should have to endure pain that can be stopped!!

3 comments:

James and Jade Bethers said...

Way to go sis!

Amanda said...

Awesome! That is a great cause. I go in this week for my first mammo. Ug. You can't start too early though. So good to hear from you! Keep in touch!

nataliejustin said...

No Parking!!! :) I love it! I'm so glad you came this year and I hope u come for many more. Next year we run!